Preparing for your family’s future
Estate planning includes your Will, along with other directions on how you want your assets distributed after your death.
It can also include documents that govern things while you are still alive. For example, how you will be cared for, medically and financially, if you become unable to make your own decisions in the future.
Find our more by watching this short video.
Generally, a good estate plan will consider things like:
- Assessment of assets
- Assessment of likely taxation
- Advice regarding the possibility of claims against the estate by third parties
- The protection of assets
Some key documents in your estate planning might include:
- A Will
- A Testamentary Trust within your Will
- Superannuation death nominations
- Appointing an “enduring power of attorney“
- Appointing an “enduring guardian“
- An advance health care direction
If you have made a binding nomination in your superannuation or insurance policies, the beneficiaries named in those policies will override anyone mentioned in your Will.
If you have a family trust, the trust continues and its assets will also be distributed according to the trust deed, no matter what is written in your Will.
Ask us to check your existing estate plan.
A good estate plan should minimise the tax paid by your heirs and help avoid any family squabbles in the future!
Remember, estate planning is an active process of re-evaluating the estate as circumstances in your life change!
This can include:
- Newly married couples or those going through divorce or a breakdown of relationship
- A change to the family’s asset pool
- A change in working conditions such as the buying or selling of a business
- Changes to superannuation, insurance policies or taxation levels
- The establishment of discretionary trusts
A successful plan is made involving all family members as it will take into account not only provisions for your retirement income but also the plans, aptitudes and existing assets of younger generations.
Contact us to find out more or to arrange an appointment to discuss your estate.
For more information, or to make an appointment at our Bexley North office (or at one of our serviced offices in Sydney CBD, North Sydney, Bondi Junction, Macquarie Park, Norwest or Parramatta), please contact:
Phone: (02) 9150 6991
Need Wills advice? Our Sydney Wills solicitors & lawyers have got you covered!